3.8.10

What goes around...

Hello world! I have decided to blog again. I know that probably no one even bothers to check this page anymore, but that's alright. It is a good hobby and way to sort out and express my thoughts. For the longest time, I thought I didn't have anything worth posting because my life consisted of work and sleep, and you can only say so many times that, "work is great and you're making costumes and props for ____ show and attending rehearsals."

Also, I decided that I am through with pink as a blog theme. So like the fairies in Sleeping Beauty, I've made it blue!

I have been reading a lot lately. Fiction, because that's what I tend to like best. British mystery novels to be precise. I have just finished with the most recently published book in the Mary Russel & Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie King and have decided to take a break from enthralling fiction since it gets in the way of me getting to bed on time. Or before 3am. Or 4. Anyway, I am stopping myself for the time being from reading other books by this author and switching to something a little less exciting but much more fulfilling that will give me something to think about as I fall asleep but not key me up to the point where it is impossible to sleep until I finish the book. (Which by the way, I was very irritated to find that the conclusion to the 9th book was no conclusion at all and did nothing to help me turn off my mind and fall to sleep).

At the beginning of last month, David Crowder Band played at the Theater. They are special to me because they're first CD, Can You Hear Us?, was what I listened to nearly every night on my DTS so that I could go to sleep. So they have a very special place in my heart, on top of which they have continued to produce great worship songs with stunning lyrics.
Anyway, all that to say, while they were here, I bought one of their books that I nearly bought 4 years ago but didn't. I don't remember why.
Last night I started reading Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, but Nobody Wants to Die. The first sentence of the preface had me hooked.
Robert and I have been dating for 17 months now, and through our relationship I have gone through different phases of dealing with different things and ideas that I have to question and either change my mind about, or decide I like the original way. Usually it has to do with how I perceive myself (identifying weaknesses) and what I want my relationships to look like.
In the past week or so I've been thinking about my 'individuality' and 'independence.' Scary.
Hate to burst anyones bubble, I still haven't come to any conclusions on this subject, but the reason I got so excited when I picked up that book, is that a part of it - the beginning at least - deals with that to an extent. It is so encouraging to know that someone, somewhere (namely, God) has the answers to all of my little problems and concerns, and I don't have to be stuck in confusion forever.
Really, the book says it's about bluegrass and death, but I related so well to the things the authors were saying, it almost felt like a personal conversation. And it's quite cleverly written and fun to read.

I have to run off to rehearsal (see, it's a very repetitive cycle), but I promise I'll be back sometime this week. I feel like I have more things that I want to say. Which is different, for a change. :)

4 comments:

Andrew and Anneke said...

I just want you to know that I have been a VERY faithful blog stalker of yours : ) and am thrilled to be able to read something fresh! Now, if only I can do the same thing with mine : )

cjw said...

Yes, Anneke, I'd almost given up on Amanda, but I'm still faithfully waiting for your next post.
and YAY!!!! welcome back Amanda. Your pink-blue comment made me laugh

Sarah said...

I'm interested in hearing what you have to say! :)

Unknown said...

Good thoughts Amanda! I look forward to reading more.

ps. did I turn you on to the king series or are we so scarily similar that we read the same random novels?