10.10.07

The other side

There is a movie called The Golden Compass coming out in December that looked interesting to me. I had never heard of it or the His Dark Materials trilogy or of Philip Pullman, the trilogy's author. But after reading an e-mail from Citizen Link that talked about the trilogy's atheist and anti-Christian themes, I decided to look more into it.

I ended up at www.hisdarkmaterials.org and read a long page of quotes by Philip Pullman.
He is a man who grew up in the "church" but says he has never seen any evidence that there is a God who has revealed Himself to humans. As I read more and more of his quotes, I understood more of where he is coming from and his world view. He has grievances with "organized religion" because of the killings and torturing done in the name of some god throughout history and even today. He doesn't believe that there is such a thing as absolute truth.

I know there are many people in our world who have similar beliefs, but it is heartbreaking when I encounter a specific person who lives his life this way.

In his books there is something called the Republic of Heaven. Here is a quote from Mr. Pullman about that.

"The kingdom of heaven promised us certain things: it promised us happiness and a sense of purpose and a sense of having a place in the universe, of having a role and a destiny that were noble and splendid; and so we were connected to things. We were not alienated. But now that, for me anyway, the King is dead, I find that I still need these things that heaven promised, and I'm not willing to live without them. I don't think I will continue to live after I'm dead, so if I am to achieve these things I must try to bring them about – and encourage other people to bring them about – on earth, in a republic in which we are all free and equal – and responsible – citizens."

And in response to the question, What are the key values in the Republic, rather than the Kingdom, of Heaven? He answered,

"Firstly, a sense that this world where we live is our home. Our home is not somewhere else. There is no elsewhere. This is a physical universe and we are physical beings made of material stuff. This is where we live.

Secondly, a sense of belonging, a sense of being part of a real and important story, a sense of being connected to other people, to people who are not here any more, to those who have gone before us. And a sense of being connected to the universe itself.

All those things were promised and summed up in the phrase, 'The Kingdom of Heaven'. But if the Kingdom is dead, we still need those things. We can't live without those things because it's too bleak, it's too bare and we don't need to. We can find a way of creating them for ourselves if we think in terms of a Republic of Heaven.

This is not a Kingdom but a Republic, in which we are all free and equal citizens, with – and this is the important thing – responsibilities. With the responsibility to make this place into a Republic of Heaven for everyone. Not to live in it in a state of perpetual self-indulgence, but to work hard to make this place as good as we possibly can."

Too me, that is the saddest part of all; that even while he is denying that there is a God, life after death and a heaven (or hell), he can't get away from the inherit desire to belong to something greater than ourselves.

After reading that whole entire page of quotes where he gave glimpses into himself, I really wanted to pray for him that his eyes would be opened to the truth. That he would receive revelation that there is a God who loves him very much who sent His Son to die in his place and was raised again so that Mr. Pullman might have newness of life.
That is my hearts desire.

If you would, please say a prayer for Philip Pullman. God can rock his world!!!

No comments: