31.3.07

Tom Conlon

At one point, I was debating going, because I wasn't sure I wanted to go by myself (which I usually love doing). But I am so very, very glad I went.

There's music, and talent, skill, enjoyment of listening... But then, there's also the Divine who comes and kisses us through a melody, a word, silence. I pity those who only experience the first without knowing the ecstasy of the second.

Tonight Tom told lots of stories; I love hearing his stories. He started the evening talking about his new album, Gravity Shoes. He spoke about Peter, who had the unbelivable experience of walking on the water - for a moment. Every minute of his life after that he had to reconcile that experience with reality - everytime he went swimming, or swallowed his drink down the wrong way. We, as believers, have two realities pulling us in opposite directions; the reality of the physical world that we experience every day, and the reality of an eternal that we can only glimpse but know deep inside that we were created for and is somehow more real than what we see.
From there Tom launched into Little World, any oldie, but one of my favorites.
It was a great evening, I loved all the new songs he played as well as the older ones. I so appreciate his style and skill (he re-tuned his guitar to different notes without a tuner and while he was talking) and his heart for the Lord.

The second to last song, he unplugged his guitar after the verse, stepped away from the mic and walked in the aisle as we all sang "Now I know the secret of sacred things. I am the one You love, this body Your castle, my King. You do not reside in a church. We are Your temple on earth."

Then he sang "Draw me nearer blessed Lord, to the cross where Thou hast died..." You could sense the presence of the Lord, there was such a sweetness in the room and a resting in His love. When he finished the song, the room was completely silent.

No comments: